Sunday

WHAT MY READERS HAVE SAID

Like all writers,I often use snippets of fans comments in my promotional efforts.
Not having an agent,either literary or publicity or for that matter,even a publisher,it falls to me to spread the word.
One thing that every ad copy writer knows,and I have learnt,is that your ads need to be short,snappy and point to ,or identify the product as quickly as possible.
That as meant I must pick and chose what comments I could included very carefully,and often had to reject outright complete letters,as ther was just no fair way to edit them.They were complete in their entirety,and could not be reduced to a snippet for commercial use.
I have come to believe that some of my "fans" should be the writers,and it is I who should their fans!
Since I feel their words should be heard,and because I will grasp at any straw to promote myself(I truley am shamless!) and send out notification of new a entry(when ever I do,readership is up that day,which equates to more ad revenue,on a good day it is as high as $5.00) I have decided to pick from the best of the comments I have received,not here,but by email,and publish them in their entireity,on this,a new page.
I will add to it as your words arrive,I may even include some of the negative remarks as well(if I ever receive any!)
So,without further acclamations,I bring you,first off,the words of a fellow Canadian:
Doug Forbes has lived a life that plays out like an episode of Law and Order. His writing, like his life, is exciting and vibrant, fraught with pain and drama. From beginning to end, it holds the reader's attention. No stranger to the seamy underbelly of society he can tell you stories that will shock you. You will never find this man boring.
The Babbling Bloggery

This one from France is simply put the ...
I had never read a blog before so I didn’t know what to expect at all. From what I had heard this was a kind of diary kept by people who had lots of time on their hands and just replaced the good old notebook with a computer screen. Nothing very serious I thought. But as I am also starting to use my computer as something else than a simple type-writer, I felt I would read this. The title had a nice ring to it, the continuing adventures : adventures sounded exciting, something different from the humdrum routine I hoped ; and they were continuing, which meant there would be some more. So I read. And got caught in it . Why ? Well, of course the adventures are not ordinary, but being an avid reader from an early age, I have read lots of amazing stories, fictional or not. So this is not the only reason why I want to read some more.
Of course, I want to know what happened next, we all do, we all like being told stories, this is the child inside wanting new stories all the time, what’s going to happen next ? Please, go on, tell us more. But what struck me is the ability to hold back, in order to convey what is most important, the emotion, the potent feeling you may experience at some moments in your life, and that you want to express somehow, because it is what makes us human. There is also that capacity to look back on a difficult past and write about it. It gives writing its full meaning, which to me is such an incredible way of communicating deeply with other human beings.
So these continuing adventures are an incredible gift that ....

Then there are the words of Sherry,these really grabbed at me,and encouraged me to go on at a time i was thinking of packing it in.I mean who the Hell do I think I am?Why would anyone want to hear from me?

Hello there is not many men i will write to because of my bf but you know something tells me that i need to continue to be for friend and not for your sake but for my own. I feel that i just may learn something and i can learn something to be a better person then it has been well worth it.
i some how can relate to you and I am not really sure as to why it is. Maybe it is because you are not judgemental and you can see people for whom they are. Then again i alway got along with men much better than women any how. How can you go so deep and write it on paper or in our case on the internet? You are one hell of man to put your heart out there for every one to read some don't understand and do they write you so much hate mail for being who you once were? there are so many question but not enough time for me tonight to ask. I would like to read more and more about you. The way you write reminds of james patterson i think that is whom i have read he wrote the beach house and blind mice he writes short chapter and the next thing you are half near done reading the book. You keep us wanting more.
Have you thought of trying to get something together you can make a ton of money and you can help others just like you with that money and live with any headache.
well my friend i really need to go to bed it is almost 12 am and i have to wake in 5 hours to go to work at good ole McDonald's i hope to hear from you soon. I would like it if you can e mail me at XXXXXXXX for that is where i don't a lot of mail and i would love nothing more to hear from you again.

Sherry Martin

This one arrived the day after Google pulled their ads on me,which makes their lose all the more painful,as well as proveing how wrong they here:

Some call it serendipity. Some call it synchronicity. Some call it coincidence. I call it my guardian angel that bought me to the site of H. Douglas Forbes. My oldest son, age 24, has added joy, pain and a great many tears to our lives over the years. He could be a wonderful person, but he would go on bouts of violent and destructive behavior that seemed to come out of nowhere. As parents, we tried parenting classes, tough love (we had him arrested 3 times) and counseling. The psychologist told us he couldn’t help because my son refused to admit there was anything wrong. His violence was always followed by remorse. He would call himself useless and a loser. He would promise to change but the cycle would soon repeat itself. He would keep getting fired from jobs because he would fly off the handle at somebody and no one was prepared to put up with this kind of behavior.

Then I ran across Mr. Forbes’ site. I clicked a link to a rehab center because binge drinking was another of my son’s problems and in the index of that page a word caught my eye. The word was bi-polar. As I read that page it occurred to me that they may as well have my son’s name engraved into the site. We now have a word for my son’s problems. I showed the site to him and he has made a doctor’s appointment. For the first time in many years I feel hopeful. There is an honest chance for my son to have a normal life and I feel a tremendous amount of gratitude to Mr. Forbes. If he had not gone through the experiences that he writes about, and if he had not the courage to tell others about them, I would not have found an answer to our prayers.
The very latest comment to arrive ,by the wise Meg,whose inspiration was behind all of this:

With every new blog, your writing improves immensely. You are adding such emotion in every word, you are becoming a very very good writer. Thankyou again Doug for sharing your experiences with the world. xXx

Okay,that is all I'll try and squeeze in for now.There are,simply put,to many to print,but I wanted to share these,as they all came at a time I was feeling blue for what ever reason it was at the time.


I dedicate this page to Anna,founder of the
H.Douglas Forbes Readers Fan Club may she always find the strrength she needs.

I invite further comments,but please,no commercials! I will never sign on to your programs,worthy as they may be,you see,I already have a full time promotion to keep me occupied,the promotion of the best product I could find. ME!
For any who have not yet discovered it,I invite you to
THE VIEW FROM OUTSIDE a more serious effort of mine to bring to light issues of the justice system.
I ask you,before you out right dismiss me as a charrleton and scammer,( jokes people,jokes) to consider my efforts to be of use to any and all victims of addictions through my work with SAVEDBYMETHADONE a support group open to all,do not let the name stop you from being involved. And so,kind reader,if any of you have made this far,I bid you good day until we 'meet" again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home